Preserving the Towton Battlefield as a site of historic interest for the general public.
The objectives of the Towton Battlefield Society are threefold. Namely, to:
1) promote the permanent preservation as a site of historic interest for the benefit of the general public, the site known specifically as Towton Battlefield, in the region of the Plain of York, North Yorkshire.
2) promote education for the general public in medieval history, particularly in relation to the Battle of Towton.
3) promote for public benefit, research into medieval history with particular reference to the Battle of Towton and to publish the useful results of such research.
ABOUT THE SOCIETY
The Towton Battlefield Society has reached its 30th birthday this year and we are still an incredibly active society, with many enthusiastic, knowledgeable members and a variety of activities going on throughout the year.
We have a social meeting at the start of every month to which members and guests are welcome. Here members can gather, catch up with friends, have a cup of tea or coffee, hope to win a prize on the raffle, and listen to a speaker. Our monthly speakers are drawn from a wide range of professional and informed amateur historians, many of whom have been published. We also have experts on craft skills and different aspects of medieval life. We even, occasionally, venture outside the period of the mid-fifteenth century and have a talk on some other aspect of military or social history.
In addition to our monthly meetings, we also have an active archery group, the Palm Sunday Archers. They meet to practice the use of the longbow on the third Sunday of each month, and again we are happy for visitors to drop by. Our experienced archers shoot at targets, but we can also help novices learn the skills required and guests have a try with our training equipment.
Our Tapestry Group are a small but dedicated group of members who are crafting a 2m² tapestry depicting moments from the battle.
We provide two guided walks per month around the battlefield trail. Whilst leading the 2.5-mile walk, the guide passes on not only the history of what happened at Towton, but also gives the walkers a sense of life in the medieval period and the trauma of this event – both to those present and to society more widely.
On this website, our members have access to an additional set of pages which provide access to archives of Society newsletters and our Herald magazine, a Forum for discussion and the opportunity to share articles within the Society for review and discussion.
Please have a look around our site, use the resources that we have been able to provide and get in touch if you have a query about the Society or a request for us to assist you. In the Society section there is information about the services that we can offer and some of the testimonials that we have received.
On this site you can join the Society, make a donation to our funds or contact us through the Contact Form. We look forward to hearing from you.
Patron FROM 1996 – 2017 – Robert Hardy
HOW YOU CAN HELP
JOIN OUR EFFORTS
Are you interested in history, especially the medieval world, and want to help preserve the past for future generations. Then join the Towton Battlefield Society!
MAKE A DONATION
Your generosity makes our work possible. Whether you contribute financially or as advocate for good.
- The walk on Sunday 22nd October has been cancelledWith the weather as it is at the moment, we have taken the difficult decision to cancel the walk this… Read More »The walk on Sunday 22nd October has been cancelled
- Palm Sunday Archers shoot cancelledI am sorry to have to inform you that we have again had to cancel the Palm Sunday Archers shoot… Read More »Palm Sunday Archers shoot cancelled
- Dates for our public walksOur guided public walks take place on the second and fourth Sunday of each month. The walks are on our… Read More »Dates for our public walks